Saturday, August 31, 2019

Muchas Personas y Muchos Chiles en Nogada

We received the following email on August 26.

I´ve been trying hard to keep these interesting and I hope it´s working but unfortunately whether or not you think they´re exciting you can´t unsubscribe.

So this week was probably one of the busiest weeks of my life. We now have 18 people we´re teaching. For those of you who don´t know that much about this, that´s a ton. We teach about three people a day, starting at about 5 because that´s when everyone is available. They´re all super interested and ask questions for about 2 hours each. Our area is gigantic so it takes about 30-40 minutes to get to the next appointment. At the end of the day we go to bed promptly at 10:30. No, that doesn´t add up. I´m pretty sure this is one of the most receptive areas in the world and we might be leading the entire mission right now. It´s great, but it´s really exhausting. We also don´t find any of our investigators on our own. The members of our ward are incredible and we get like 3-4 references every week. I wish I had the time and space to tell you guys about every investigator cause they´re all super awesome people, but then my email would be way longer than this.

What´s really awesome about all of this is that it´s really easy to see how drastically the gospel can change people´s lives. Every single one of the 18 people has something they´re struggling with, and they´re all completely different. Some struggle with drugs, poverty, a recent divorce, heartbreak, death of a loved one, or they´re just confused as to where to go next in their life. Some of them struggle with all of that. But then they get really invested in the gospel, and a lot of them will read the entire Book of Mormon without even being asked to, and their lives completely change. It´s really incredible how through Jesus Christ, we really can overcome every challenge in our life. Sometimes things seem impossible for us, but Christ already overcame every one of our challenges individually, and he can help us get through it.

In addition to all the investigators we had this week, we also had a ton of chiles en nogada. I think I talked about that a little bit last week, but basically its a deep fried chile filled with a ton of fruit, nuts and meat, and covered in this sauce called nogada. And then the put pomegranite seeds on top. I think it´s like some kinda really rich person thing to eat down here but for some reason we´ve been fed it like every day this week and we don´t know why. A bunch of the other missionaries still have´t had it. It´s really good, and has more flavors than I´ve ever tasted in food in my life, but my stomach doesn´t like it too much. After experiencing the parasite though, I don´t think I´ve ever been more grateful to vomit. Also Mexican food is a lot more than just tacos. Everyone who said the street tacos give you stomach problems lied, I´ve found that those are some of the best things my stomach can handle. And the spiciness isn´t bad either, I´ve had a few habaneros and they aren´t really that bad. The real challenge is the "heavy food." Still trying to figure out exactly what that means but my stomach doesn´t like it.

Anyways, I really love it here and my stomach is adjusting. I hope you guys are all doing fantastic and I´d love to hear some updates on your lives. Sorry if I don´t have time to respond to all of them but I promise I read them all.

Elder Olivier

Foto - Jesus signing his baptism forms, sorry it´s kinda blurry

No comments:

Post a Comment