Sunday, August 4, 2019

¡Bienvenidos a San Ramón!

We received the following email on July 29.

Hey everyone!

So I´ve decided that the people and the dogs here are pretty much exactly the same. Most of them are pretty nice, and a lot of them would spend all day with you if you let them. Some of them avoid you at all costs and are pretty afraid of you. Some of them are lying on the streets and you don´t really know if they´re dead or alive. Some of them bark at you immediately and kinda hate you but you don´t know why. Some of them beg you for food. Some of them will spend around 30 minutes with you and will be really good friends with you but then out of nowhere they randomly decide that they hate you and bark at you in a language you don´t understand. But every single one of them uses the sidewalks and looks both ways before crossing the streets.

My companion´s name is Elder Cifuentes and my first area is San Ramón in the Arboledas zone. I had trouble pronouncing that last week because Cifuentes said it with a heavy accent and rolled his r´s lol so I feel pretty stupid now that I´ve seen it written. But other than that the language has been getting better every day. The city is really beautiful but unfortunately I don´t have any pictures of it yet. I´ll try to get some this week. Every three tiendas is a tortilleria or a papeleria so I guess they just really like their tortillas and paper lol. Also there´s a less active member that lives in the apartment below us that feeds us dinner every night and does our laundry. She´s basically our mom but she has a really thick accent from who knows where and I can never understand what she´s saying haha. Her name is Hermana Ocaña and she´s super cool.

Elder Cifuentes is super cool and really focused on the work. We get along pretty well as far as I can tell through the language barrier but it´s getting easier and easier to communicate with him, especially since I´m pretty much only talking to him and people on the street 24/7. Some people randomly speak English though and I only figure that out after I struggle to teach a lesson in spanish and then at the end they tell me, with an american accent, that I´m doing a great job and learning really fast.

Puebla is like a mini Utah in México and I´m pretty sure there´s more members here than they have a mi casa. We run into members on the street all the time. It´s a little hard to find people to teach cause pretty much everyone is already a member or Catholic. We ran into one "Catholic priest" that told us this super long story. I only understood the normal parts so I was just kinda smiling and nodding the whole time and going "Oh sí, sí... en serio??.. sí, sí" Afterwards my companion explained to me in easier spanish that he said he expelled demons on the regular and made a guy levitate. So that was interesting.

Right now we´re teaching a 19 year old kid named Saul and a married (but not really cause that's super common here) woman named Mikaela. They´re both super cool and super interested. We have a few other people that want to be taught that we haven´t started teaching yet just because it´s hard to find people´s houses here because they don´t have addresses. Also our area is huge, I think the biggest city area in the mission. We walk at least 10 miles every day but usually a lot more.

Yesterday at church we had a miracle. A few of the less active members we´ve been visiting came so that was super cool. Also Mikaela came and that was super cool too. We´ve been praying to find more people to teach for a while but haven´t been having a ton of luck. BUT on of the members invited a family of 4 to church and they all came and are super interested! So that was a big miracle. Also then president called and gave us a reference for us to teach on Thursday so that was cool too. Also a kid in the ward needed to be baptized and I had the opportunity to baptize him.

Anyways I hope you guys are doing great with everything!
Elder Olivier


Also most of these pictures are from the CCM but there´s one of the baptism we had.






No comments:

Post a Comment